Monday, March 22, 2010

Rouen: Je ne suis pas l'Homme de la Batte

I've been practicing my mouth calisthenics aka "speaking French". While the odd bit of rusty Spanish still ambushes my fledgling French pronunciation, I'm definately improving. That is, until...Rouen. You see, before Rouen or "wahh(n)", I was blissfully unaware of the hazards of the letter R in French. Naturellement, c'est francais!

Unlike either the English or Spanish versions, the tricky "r" beast requires learning throat yoga. It entails finding my "K" spot and a mantra to the Egyptian sun god ("ra-ra-ra"). Other suggestions for conquering "r" include gently rolling the "r" as it's hacked out like a loogie, growling like a tiger, or just randomly making it sound like a "w". Hence, "wahh(n)" with the n highly nasalized. Sounds good to me! But I'll keep paper and pens handy to write words out just in case.

Speaking of words, I couldn't resist the "r" section in Dave Barry's "Parlez-vous Français?" piece. I found it while trying to figure out how to say "Rouen". Needless to say, it didn't help. But thinking about it will certainly make my language mantras sound extra amused!

"...Sometimes we Americans try to blend in to the café scene, but the French immediately spot us as impostors, because we cannot pronounce the Secret French Code letter, which is ``r.'' They have learned to say ``r'' in a certain secret way that sounds as though they are trying to dislodge a live eel from their esophagus. It is virtually impossible for a non-French person to make this sound; this is how the Parisian café waiters figure out that you are an American, even if you are attempting to pass as French:

WAITER: Bonjour. Je suspect que vous etes American. (``Good day. I suspect that you are American.'')

YOU: Mais je ne portes pas les Nikes! (``But I am not wearing the sneakers!)

WAITER: Au quais, monsieur pantalons intelligents, prononcez le mot ``Rouen.'' (``OK, Mr. Smarty Pants, pronounce the word `Rouen.' '')

YOU: Woon. (``Woon.'')

WAITER: Si vous etes Francais, je suis l'Homme de la Batte. (``If you are French, I am Batman.'')"

4 comments:

  1. I am always amused by the ways that 'Batman' is translated into other languages .. In Russian, they just say it phonetically, because to translate it literally would make him 'Flying Mouse Man'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beginning French after 6 years of Spanish, my teacher (who grew up in the Pyrenees) said I sounded like I came from two villages over. You may find that Spanish accented French is a bit less unacceptable than English accented. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the French 'R' goes, I've always likened it to pretending you have a cottonball gently placed in the back of your throat and you have to pronounce that 'R' back there without dislodging the cottonball.

    I'm actually pretty darn good at it, at least according to my French teachers (long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe....our French teacher (in the US) told us they say "Batman" in France as well. I haven't asked about it here in France yetbut we did have a class where we talked about "Donald Duck".

    ReplyDelete